Monday, March 16, 2009

Time to relocate??

I have realized that I have not been able to find my niche here in the city of Orange County in beautiful, sunny southern California. There are so many things that I've learned growing up in Southern California that I have grasped a genuine appreciation for, yet so many adversities that contribute to my unequivocal desire to leave and make some other community my own.

Growing up in San Bernardino with a fairly balanced demographic only to transfer to Irvine an hours and a half away proved to be an important learning experience through self-discovery for me as well. Both cites have stark differences and it has really been interesting learning about myself through the location, demographics, socioeconoic status, etc. of where I've lived. There are positives and negatives to each locale, but applying the pros to my future lifestyle of complete independence and a family of my own is what I hope to do in successfully choosing where and when I will migrate upon graduating UC, Irvine.

The people present themselves as more sincere and simple in San Bernardino. There was a noticeable minority population and my peers seemed to be faced with the day to day challenges of the average American. Things such as crime, budgeting finances, preparing for an independent, yet uncertain future were common and evident from my peers. The death of my next door neighbor confirm for me the notion that we must cherish every aspect of life while wasting time on petty differences and the things that seperate us only preserve a more difficult lifestyle. California's demographic is very unique and there are many surprises to most individual you will meet in California. The residence of Orange County on the other hand are very similar but as expected there is a threshold of acceptace in much of the community. This is common in many communities as most individuals tend to not prefer to get too close with individuals they share nothing in common with. Unfortunately for me, the vibe illuminating from the residence of Orange County are in general more exclusive and secluding as opposed to the personalities in other areas of southern California.

The point of this article is not to generalize Orange County residence or compare one group against another; we all have our own perspectives of what should be. I am only applying the lessons that I have been able to learn and teach myself growing up have been pronounced in the differences in location based on variables such as demographics, socioeconoic status, and nuances in the general population.

No comments: