Saturday, September 6, 2008

Inspired by Lies...

I have been dwelling on this issue for quite some time because as the November 2008 election draws near and I find myself much more interested in the wonders of politics (ugh). I’ve always been interested in the political process and the corruptions in the system (we all know it’s not perfect). The government can, and will, deliberately have America believing one thing when the premise behind plans are actually something totally different. In the realm of politics this idea has always been around and in some cases is very necessary as citizen’s lives do not need to be complicated with everything that is going on in the world. But i feel that this crucial period in America’s history will be a defining moment in the direction and the level of government distortion. I can only hope and pray that whichever candidate is chosen will be able to lead us away from wasteful earmarks, pork barrel spending, lobbyist and other forms of government self-interest.

This idea of having a corrupt, inadequate government on any level has inspired me to position myself in a way that I can actually make a difference. To get educated and to understand how best to impact the policies that may be affecting me on a regional level at the very least. If politics are not a serious priority for an individual, I feel the next step is simply to stay engaged in the laws and policies of the land so if there are any questions or concerns one will be able to voice an opinion.

While I don’t plan on being on the inside of federal government, I will always stay dedicated to maintaining a full, objective view of politics and continue to question the government. I feel that American politics is rarely blessed with individuals who have not been phased by power and money because these things inevitably play a large role in politics at all levels. So we owe it to ourselves to question the policies of government entities and think as independents. I will also stay inspired to question the information we find in the vast majority of the media. It’s amazing how calculating and divisive some propaganda can be. The context in which information is portrayed to convey a specific message can be so misleading that we take away a completely different message than intended. We see examples of this demonstrated all the time when the media only share small portions of a larger message that will often present misleading information. Freedom of speech has always been on the public’s side. One thing we often fail to use though, is freedom of thought.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ya man, this is so true. I have been keeping up with politics a lot more nowadays too. It's so easy for the media to take things out of context. It makes me sick when people believe everything they see on TV.

good post!

GQ Joe said...

hey james, thanks for the comment!

I think that a lot of people have tendencies to intentionally overlook the one-sidedness of some of the media sources. I even notice myself doing this same thing at times but I try not to. I try to think independently as possible.