Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Appreciating the basics

I wanted to jot down a few words about something while emotions and thoughts were still fresh.

For months it's been very difficult dealing with some instabilities at home alone with my father. Empty words day after day, night after night, used as leverage for my help and companionship at times seem to mean nothing in the end. Now, as situations perpetuated by my father complicate themselves, I find myself here staying at my brother house more inspired to achieve my goals and exceed the expectations of my father.

Things have truly been put into perspective during the tougher times. I have never been more appreciative of basic commodities like food, health, and a roof while luxuries suddenly seem so insignificant. Things like a big home with a swimming pool mean absolutely nothing without a loving family and great friends. For some people the only thing that matters is wealth and great riches but I have gone through my fair share of experiences both good and bad to recognize that the things that must be appreciated first are the basics in order to capitalize on the wealth that tomorrow holds. I will stay inspired to achieving 'excellence' even if it means taking a step back to appreciate the simple things in life at the costs of postponing future hopes and dreams.

No comments: